Friday, June 30, 2017

Summer Semester Update

We are a quarter of the way through our program as of today! I cannot believe it! Time flies when you’re having fun….or studying a lot. 
This week I had my last gross room rotation of the semester.  It wasn’t as busy so there weren't a lot of specimens, but I did gross my first leg so that was exciting!  Well it was an exciting experience for me, but unfortunately not for the patient.  They experienced a traumatic injury which lead to a below the knee amputation of their leg.  For these specimens, we evaluate the lesion and the soft tissue/bone underlying the lesion, submit the skin/soft tissue and bony margins, and evaluate the vasculature and look for calcifications or narrowing of the vessels.  They can be messy specimens so I had to wear a face shield and lab coat because the blood can shoot out.  This was also my first time using a Stryker saw to cut the bone which I was nervous about, but the next time I think I will be more comfortable.  Gross room is always a learning experience but it is exciting when you get to gross a new specimen.
We still have class on Monday but we have Tuesday off for the 4th of July!  Since we can't go out of town for the holiday, we are renting a pontoon boat and enjoying some time on Cheat Lake after class on Monday! I haven’t been blogging as much this summer because there is not a whole lot going on except for classes and I already explained how our classes are for the summer so I would really just be repeating myself!  A couple of things I haven’t mentioned yet about our classes this semester are the microscopic portfolios and our presentations.  Before each exam, we have to go the microscope room and take pictures of normal histology of the organ systems we are going over for that unit.  So for example, this test we have coming up is on the male/female reproductive tract, bladder, head and neck, and peripheral nerve pathology so we will take pictures of the structures on a list we are given and we turn them into Justin for a grade.  I actually like these assignments because it makes us better at recognizing histological structures, and it is easier to know what is going on in conferences.  We also have these assignments because for advanced microanatomy in the fall we have to know it all anyways!

As far as the presentations go,  we were given a schedule at the beginning of the semester with pre-assigned topics and dates.  They take place on the same days of the exams so we stay afterwards to listen to 2-4 presentations.  My topic is endocrine tumors of the thyroid and I go next Monday so getting that in order is on my To-Do list this weekend!
                             Parotid Gland Histology
webpathology.com

No comments:

Post a Comment