Monday, May 7, 2018

3rd Rotation, Week 4-Charleston, WV


I am almost half-way through my 3rd rotation at Thomas Memorial Hospital in Charleston, WV.  I have really enjoyed it so far!  The day starts at 7:30 AM (which is earlier than most), I gross until about lunch time and I am typically done by 2:00 PM! I have grossed a couple “new-to-me” specimens such as a mandible for squamous cell carcinoma, a submandibular gland for tumor, and an ear for squamous cell carcinoma! I have also got a lot more placentas, uteri, and colons.  The histotechs normally cut the frozen at Thomas, but they will let you cut them if you ask...so make sure you ask! I have enjoyed the practice, because they get a lot of thyroids for frozen, and besides diagnosing it, I basically do everything from start to finish.  Everyone here is very nice and helpful so I am having a good time.  I am from Charleston so I have enjoyed spending a lot of time with my family…and free home cooked meals every night! 

Around the middle of April, I began applying for jobs.  It is still a little early but I thought I might as well start applying for the practice.  I think it will be a long process of finding the right job in the right location.  My husband will graduate from WVU in December as well so it makes it a little more complicated knowing we both need an open position at a job we like, in a city we like.  It is still super exciting to think about either way! I will definitely blog once I have found a job so (much) later in the year I might have some more to share about the job searching process.

I still have 4 weeks here at Thomas, but I can tell I am going to miss it here! I will blog again at the end of the rotation to talk about the second half!


No comments:

Post a Comment